Sunday, July 24, 2011

What to do, what to do

I got brave and tried the Alter Eco Quinoa the other day.  In fact, I have now had it twice.  It is pretty bland by itself, though it smells like corn, but with a slightly nutty flavor, so I added some much needed salt and veggies.  The end result was a dish resembling fried rice. 

I like the fact that by purchasing the stuff I am helping support small family farms in Bolivia...but, then again according to this article in the New York Times, it seems that by helping Bolivian farmers export the crop it made it too expensive for the locals, and thus the rate of malnutrition in these areas is on the rise.  What to do, what to do.  Seems it is a no win situation, as the increase in jobs has been a huge blessing in these communities allowing people to stay in Bolivia instead of head to another neighboring country to find work.

On an entirely different note...


  I started out yesterday with a healthy and beautiful breakfast, a bowl of fresh fruit.  I even made a bowl for my mom and sister.  Would have made it for the guys too, but they went camping for the weekend.

I think the combination of all these new grains, beans and fruits has done a number on my stomach.  I have been in a world of pain the last two days.  So much so that I decided  on drastic measures of drinking Herbal Smooth Move Tea, just to see if it would help.  I have had 2 cups in the last 48 hours, it is not helping.  (I realize not everyone in the world wants to know that, but this is also serving as my medical journal...and if you are going through this process with me you should know what you are getting into)

No comments:

Post a Comment