Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Art of Embrace

A week ago or so I was informed that it is likely I have Fibromyalgia.  Bummer.  No matter how much I don't love this (a lot)  it does explain the severe pain residing in my body.  Apparently Fibromyalgia is not the easiest of things to diagnose nor is there a cure, but my Chiropractor suggested I try the "cheapest simplest" treatment first.  I put that in quotes because my friend Nicole and I always used to say, "nothing cheap and easy is good for you."  Yet, here I am faced with trying just that.  And let me tell you, I find it neither cheap nor easy so I guess it might just work.

Here's the plan...Drastically change my diet for 6 weeks along with moderate exercise.  (sounds simple enough)  I tend to walk a lot anyway, at least I did when I was living in Rome, so that part is not so hard.  But here is the kicker, the diet of elimination.  At first he just said eliminate everything white.  That sucked, but was not the end of the world...No flour, sugar, dairy.  It was a change but not impossible.  But that was just cause he did not have the actual elimination diet  paperwork handy.  Not the case today...



Eat:

  • Simple grains such as: Splet (I have no idea what that is), Quinoa (again, not a clue), Polenta, and Brown Rice
  • Olive Oil, Flax Seed and Fish Oil
  • Cooked Veggies (but not all of them)
  • Pineapple, Mango, Banana (other fruits)
  • Plain Organic Yogurt with Acidophilus
  • Butter
  • Rice milk
  • Eggs
  • Chicken, Turkey, Fish
  • Walnuts, Pecans, Pine nuts, and Almonds
  • Pau da Arco Tea (no clue) herbal teas
  • Beans any kind cooked.

That's it.  That is all I can eat for 6 weeks.

I could list out all the things I cannot eat, but basically if it is not on the list above, well, you get the point.

Now if you know me, you know I am a foodie.  I love food.  I love to try new foods, I love flavors and variety.  I love everything this is not.  But I also am sick of being sick, and I would rather be healthy than in pain.  I am not a fan of doctors (not them as people, just all the ones who have never fixed me) so this seems like a better route than cortisone shots and anti-seizure meds.  And lets be honest when you read the list of side effects on the Fibromyalgia drugs of choice I would rather just suffer as is.

This diet is not that different than the first cycle of the 17 Day Diet  which in fact I had started back in May because my mom and sister were swearing by it.  I also Ended it back in May when I having just returned from 9 months in Rome really wanted to enjoy American Dining and found it to be way too boring to stick with.  Funny how life works out, because now instead of having to do this for 17 days I get to do it for 6 weeks.  Oh joy.

But, like I said I love food, and I love writing and I am supposed to keep a journal of this process anyway, so I thought I might as well blog it.  Like I do with just about everything in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment